Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hearty Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

I've got a lot of laundry and house cleaning going on today but thought I would take a minute to post a recipe for the soup I made last night.  It was delish! I purchased some beautiful kale yesterday but the chicken I had planned to cook with it was not completely thawed when I got ready to cook.  Don't you just hate that? So instead of microwaving it, I remembered a quick potato and kale soup "recipe" I hadn't made in a while. I had some sausage in the fridge, so I decided to throw it in for some extra protein. Remember, most everything I make can be added to or taken away from in some fashion and still taste good. Don't be afraid to substitute beans for potatoes, spinach for kale, ham for sausage or you can leave out the sausage all together.
One more note, make sure and check your meat labels for nitrate/nitrites, MSG, preservatives and fillers/gluten. You want to purchase sausage that is uncured or free of any of those other ingredients that I listed. It is going to cost more. Period. I know, I hate paying the high prices too. But you can skip meat a few times a week and take the money you have saved on those meals to buy better protein sources for the meals with meat. Your body will thank you for it. Applegate Farms has some really good meat selections. There is a link to their website under "Places to Purchase" on my blog to the right. You can also find many of their products at Target.

Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

1 onion chopped*
1 package Kielbasa/link sausage chopped (lower the fat %, the better)*
6 small yellow potatoes diced*
4 cups kale chopped (be sure to remove the fibrous stem from the entire leaf)*
2 qts low-sodium chicken broth*
1/2 tsp granulated garlic*
1/4 to 1/2 cup Half and Half (less is few calories, more equals richer soup)*
fresh cracked pepper to taste
*Organic and local products are best

In a large pot, heat sausage and onion until onion is tender. Add stock and turn heat to medium. Skim any fat off the top then add potatoes and cook for apx 15mins or until potatoes are almost done. Skim the fat again then stir in garlic and kale. Turn heat to simmer, add cream and cracked pepper. Simmer until kale is just tender and the potatoes are soft.  This serves apx 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gluten-Free Moroccan Carrot Soup

Tex-Mex Chicken Quinoa

Baby Bok Choy And Grass-Fed Beef Stir-Fry

Gluten-Free Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie

Crustless Quiche

Hearty Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

The Best Brussels Sprouts Ever

No Cans Chicken and Rice (Gluten Free)

Last Minute Soup

Gluten-Free Cajun Quinoa

Pantry Staples

No-Bake Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies

Flourless Chocolate Cake gluten-free

Flourless Chocolate Cake Gluten-free

i heart groceries' Texas Caviar

iheartgroceries blog logo