Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Just For the Record

You know that saying, right?  And what about "Never say never"? Familiar with that one too? Well, just for the record, I have never eaten a bite of bologna. Never.  Not even when my grandmother, who I love and respect, tried to talk me into "just a bite".  I still remember that day. It was a close call. Nor did I eat it when my dad tried to convince me it was "just like eating pizza" because he had so wittingly put a slice of processed cheese over it to hide its greasy pinkness before cutting it into triangles "like a pizza". That day there were some tears involved. But I stood strong and once again I did not eat it. While I will give my dad points for creativity and even a few for using a simile, you just can't out wit some one's taste buds. Not at age 7 and not at thirty-something.  So when my husband asked me to try some of his Brussels sprouts he had ordered, I told him the story of the bologna pizza and explained to him there are some things I never eat. This is how that list reads:  bologna, beets, Brussels sprouts, lima beans, tofu...(there are a few more). It isn't a long list but you get the point.  Not all of those foods turn my stomach the way bologna does, but let's just say I have tasted them and see no need to taste them again.  Now with all that being said, I have to admit I was surprised to find my husband liked something I didn't. Pretty sure it was a first because most of the time it is me trying to get him to taste something that I can't imagine he won't like as much, if not more than I do. (I also can't imagine that he could find my prompting to try new foods the least bit annoying. haha!) You know how the scenario goes. Anyway, before the meal was over I ended up taking a bite.
So you remember that saying I mentioned, "Never say never"? It got me. I have loved Brussels sprouts since that day.  I found the key is in the preparation, as is the case with most foods.  (excluding bologna-sorry Dad, no amount of prep can disguise that one) When Brussels sprouts are boiled or steamed they taste horrible. I don't know why anyone would eat them that way. Yuck. But something magical happens to those cute, little cabbage mini-me's when they are sauteed and get all toasty and caramelized. They become slightly sweet, a little nutty and so yummy.  Below I have listed some steps for prepping the cruciferous cutie-pies and a couple of simple ways to cook them.  I hope you find the info helpful and add Brussels sprouts to your next grocery list. And just for the record, bologna will never be on mine.


How to clean and prep Brussels sprouts:

1. Cut off the stalk end and discard it.
2. Tear off and discard any bruised or damaged leaves.
3. Cut in half, lengthwise.
4. Rinse and drain.
That's it. Easy enough.


I have found sauteing Brussels sprouts on the stovetop to yield the best caramelization.  However, they can be broiled on a cookie sheet if you are cooking a large quantity.


For stovetop- Heat saute pan to med-high heat. On occasion I use a piece of bacon cut into small pieces for flavor. If you choose to use bacon, render the fat and place the sprouts, cut side down, in the grease. If you would rather, use 2 tbs of olive oil or other healthy oil, add the Brussels sprouts once oil is hot. Do not let olive oil get too hot, as it will burn and smoke.  Cook uncovered until brown, stir once and cover. Turn down to low heat and continue cooking until just tender, apx 5 mins. *Be careful to not let them turn to mush or they will taste and smell like sulfur. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at once.

For oven- turn oven to broil. Place Brussels sprouts on cookie sheet, cut side up, after tossing them in olive oil, salt and pepper.  Broil until brown. Turn broiler off and turn oven to 350 degrees. Stir sprouts and return to oven until tender. Serve at once.

3 comments:

  1. And for the record, I looked up the spelling. The correct spelling of Brussels sprouts is just that. I had always written brussel sprouts. Learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these little things...I agree that it is all in how you cook them.

    You may want to give beets a try. I was really surprised when I had them in a salad - very sweet and good for you. Again, I think it is all in the prep.

    Totally with you on the bologna. I filed that in the same category as SPAM a long time ago. I will never say never, because the world could come to an end and the only thing left will be bologna and SPAM, and I would consider it for survival, but that is where I draw the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may be adventuresome and give beets another try. Maybe. And yes, I have had nightmares where I am either trapped or stranded and all I can find to eat is bologna. I always seem to wake before I get desperate enough to eat it. Whew.

    ReplyDelete

Gluten-Free Moroccan Carrot Soup

Tex-Mex Chicken Quinoa

Baby Bok Choy And Grass-Fed Beef Stir-Fry

Gluten-Free Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie

Crustless Quiche

Hearty Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

The Best Brussels Sprouts Ever

No Cans Chicken and Rice (Gluten Free)

Last Minute Soup

Gluten-Free Cajun Quinoa

Pantry Staples

No-Bake Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies

Flourless Chocolate Cake gluten-free

Flourless Chocolate Cake Gluten-free

i heart groceries' Texas Caviar

iheartgroceries blog logo