Friday, January 6, 2012

With A Side of Caviar, Please

So after yesterday's computer debacle and hours of trying to figure out the address of my pics, which seemed to have picked themselves up and moved to the virtual land of "Blogger" without sending me a "Hey, We Have Moved" note; I figured I might start my day out with a little good luck. I mean, it has been 5 days since my last helping of black-eyed peas and maybe a little extra serving of those lucky legumes would do me a bit of good. And just for the record, they aren't really peas, they are technically legumes (beans). See how much you have learned already? Anyway, I have never been a huge fan of black-eyed peas but being the good southern girl that I am, I eat them every New Year's Day and maybe a few other times a year. I would guess this is probably the case with most people because come on now, just how lucky can those little guys be? I found this recipe for Texas Caviar years ago and it has become one of my favorites. It has even convinced a few black-eyed pea haters to join in on the NYD tradition. The original recipe comes from the above cookbook given to me by my mom. (thanks, mom) I have modified the recipe a bit, sorry Mr. Perini, so that it has more of a salsa consistency.

Here is a list of ingredients.

1 cup to 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas* super easy to do in the crockpot and no extra sodium or BPA
3/4 cup seeded/chopped tomatoes (i used Cherubs)*
1/2 red bell pepper chopped*
1/2 purple onion chopped*
1 small bunch fresh cilantro chopped* use scissors to make fast work of chopping this
4 green onions chopped (white and green parts)*
2 tbs minced garlic*
1 tbs garlic powder*
3 tbs Smart Balance oil
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Frontera salsa (blue label) *secret ingredient-or it was secret before today. HEB carries it.
1 Ziploc gallon sized bag
*use organic and local every chance you get


Note the cutting "board"...one of my fav things.
 

Pour all the ingredients into the Ziploc baggie and shake them up. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight is even better. I usually flip the bag a couple of times during refrigeration to stir up the marinade. Drain the excess liquid and serve cold. And just so you know, I will be eating this with every meal until it is gone.
Bring on the GOOD LUCK!

Texas Caviar


3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...looks delish!! I have a killer recipe on the stove top. It too has been known to sway BEP haters :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just another BEP recipe :) I can email it if you want :)

    ReplyDelete

Gluten-Free Moroccan Carrot Soup

Tex-Mex Chicken Quinoa

Baby Bok Choy And Grass-Fed Beef Stir-Fry

Gluten-Free Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie

Crustless Quiche

Hearty Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

The Best Brussels Sprouts Ever

No Cans Chicken and Rice (Gluten Free)

Last Minute Soup

Gluten-Free Cajun Quinoa

Pantry Staples

No-Bake Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies

Flourless Chocolate Cake gluten-free

Flourless Chocolate Cake Gluten-free

i heart groceries' Texas Caviar

iheartgroceries blog logo