Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Little Background To Get Started

I grew up in a small town south of  Fort Worth, TX. My great-grandmother lived near us and every week she made a grocery list. Reliously. While her staples in the mid-80's were such food stuffs as Nilla Wafers, Miracle Whip, Split-Top bread, corny dogs and other boxed concoctions of this new "microwave it" era; her grocery list was always a running record of sorts. It included new things to try, things to make, things to store and things to entice your grandchildren to stay and play another hand of Skip-Bo. Hence, the Nilla Wafers topping nearly every list. As I grew up reading her lists, I discovered I had an affinity towards not only all things food, but list making as well.  This affinity grew into a love of the grocery store, grocery shopping, grocery lists, cooking shows, cookbooks and well, groceries in general. (How lucky is my husband,right?) However, my lists have every few items in common with those of my great-grandmother's. No Crisco, no processed cheese slices or microwave pizzas on my lists. However, I do often find myself just as she did, sitting with a cup of coffee making a list for the week of new things to try, things to make, things to store and things to entice my friends and family to join us for dinner (or Skip-bo). I LOVE fresh, whole food and use local and organic ingredients as often as I can. My thought for this blog is to post ingredients I can't live without, share healthy remakes of not so healthy recipes and little tricks I have learned along the way to encourage others to have as much fun making lists, grocery shopping, cooking and creating successful meals as I have. I hope you find this blog helpful, easy to follow, fun/funny at times and a source of inspiration to create your own grocery list and love of groceries. <3, Kristin  

2 comments:

  1. Read this yesterday, and we broke out the Skip-Bo cards last night. Hadn't played in forever! Already an inspiration...we had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to "Like" your comment or "repin" it or something. Too much social media.

    ReplyDelete

Gluten-Free Moroccan Carrot Soup

Tex-Mex Chicken Quinoa

Baby Bok Choy And Grass-Fed Beef Stir-Fry

Gluten-Free Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie

Crustless Quiche

Hearty Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

The Best Brussels Sprouts Ever

No Cans Chicken and Rice (Gluten Free)

Last Minute Soup

Gluten-Free Cajun Quinoa

Pantry Staples

No-Bake Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies

Flourless Chocolate Cake gluten-free

Flourless Chocolate Cake Gluten-free

i heart groceries' Texas Caviar

iheartgroceries blog logo