Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Let's Have A Heart To Heart, Shall We?

Hearts. That is what February is all about, isn't it?  So being in the spirit of Valentine's Day and National Heart Month, I thought I would start the month off with an important heart health message.
The leading cause of death for men and women in the United States, according to the American Heart Association, is heart disease.
Yep, that is it.  One statement. That is my important message.  I even decided to add the bold, italics, red and underline so you could grasp the importance.
And do I think most people care about this statement? No.
Do I think most people understand the gravity of this statement? No.
Do I think most people tune out almost everything that follows this statement? Yes. 
And why do I think these things?  Because (enter fast-food restaurant name here) continues to serve billions every day.  Because hospitals barely have room for the constant flow of heart attack patients that enter their doors. Because our schools consider pizza a vegetable. Because American children are becoming obese in rising numbers. Because tobacco is a multi-billion dollar industry. Because we spend more time and money on television than exercising. Because stress is commonplace. Because prescription drug sales are at an all time high. And finally, because the obituary section of local newspapers proves my thinking true. Simple as that.
So for those of you who are still reading,(Hi Mom) I want you to know, I get it. I get the complacency. We make something a "National Campaign" and for one month out of the year we may consider making some changes. We might even check our blood pressure or sign up to attend a local health fair to get our cholesterol number if we are really in the spirit. We glance at a magazine article about, "How To Lose 10lbs Fast" and buy the latest diet drink in an effort to lose some weight and prevent a heart attack...if not for the long-term, at least for this week. We live in a world where the leading cause of death for men and women is heart disease for crying out loud...I understand.  But what if instead of becoming a statistic you started with just one choice? What if you chose to eat fruit over chips; not just today but from here on out? You walked your dog when you got home instead of crashing on the couch. You ordered grilled fish instead of fried and your car rarely ever pulled up to a fast food drive-thru again. (I am being realistic here, I said "rarely".) You discovered the value of deep breathing and relaxation. You vowed to stop smoking and meant it. You thought of your heart as an irreplaceable treasure, more valuable than any amount of money you could ever make or any amazing gift you could ever hope to receive. You have the power to do all of these things and more.  You have the power of prevention.  (Sorry I couldn't resist the emphasis.)
This week I plan to post several heart healthy recipes...minus the soapbox.  I, for one, plan to be more mindful of my heart; not just this month, but from here on out. 
I think Hippocrates said it best, "Let food by thy medicine and medicine be thy food". 
I know several of you loved the quinoa recipe so look for another this week. I also plan to post my favorite flourless cookie recipe, a meatless meal full of protein and a few of my favorite Cooking Light recipes.  But before I go, one last note. I would like to say thanks again to all my readers! I passed the 1,000 pageview mark in my first month.  That just seems crazy to me.  I seriously can't believe it. I hope you continue to read, leave comments, repin and cook along with me. It has been a blast so far and it truly makes my heart happy!

 

1 comment:

  1. Preach it, Sister! If you don't stay out of the drive-thru for your heart, then possibly you could do it because they are feeding you garbage. Literally! Things that used to be thrown away, are now washed in ammonia, minced, re-formed and grilled or fried up! They are called re-claimed meat products. Think about it.

    P.S. Thanks for the referral...just saw your new blog list. Thank you, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Gluten-Free Moroccan Carrot Soup

Tex-Mex Chicken Quinoa

Baby Bok Choy And Grass-Fed Beef Stir-Fry

Gluten-Free Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie

Crustless Quiche

Hearty Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

The Best Brussels Sprouts Ever

No Cans Chicken and Rice (Gluten Free)

Last Minute Soup

Gluten-Free Cajun Quinoa

Pantry Staples

No-Bake Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies

Flourless Chocolate Cake gluten-free

Flourless Chocolate Cake Gluten-free

i heart groceries' Texas Caviar

iheartgroceries blog logo