Friday, February 24, 2012

Checked Your Oil Lately?

I have been reading a lot about oils these past few weeks.  Jealous? Interesting subject, I know.  But hey, I am a self-proclaimed nerd and an article I read about Canola oil got me thinking.  So I set out to find some truth on the subject and do a little research.  I have to say that even with my eclectic taste in "light reading", spending hours researching oils and their benefits held my attention much longer than I expected.  Wanting to do a little experimenting of my own, I set out this week to purchase and try a few oils that peaked my interest.  And a little disclaimer before we get started, I am not endorsing any brands or medically prescribing any of the of the following oils.  I am merely passing on information, making suggestions and relating my experiences.  Ok, now that I can keep my nursing license, let me tell you what I purchased and discovered.

1. Grapeseed Oil- I purchased this oil in hopes to find an oil with healthy properties, similar to those of olive oil, but with a higher smoke point.  If you cook with olive oil very often you know what I mean and how easily it burns.  Grapeseed oil did not disappoint.  I made a stir-fry and didn't have to worry about balancing the heat between searing the food and burning the oil.  As far as taste, it didn't seem to taste per se but I did notice it had a very light viscosity, almost watery, so I didn't have to use much to coat the pan.  I am not going to go into all the details about its benefits but I will suggest you looking it up and picking up a bottle to replace your current vegetable oil.

*I would like to note that after years of using Smart Balance oil, I have since thrown it out.  A little research into Canola oil and it just lost its appeal. Canola oil is the first ingredient in the Smart Balance blend.

2.  Sesame Oil- This oil is extracted in several different ways which lends to various depths of flavor.  It can have a toasty, nutty flavor or little to no taste.  While researching oils I came across a practice in Ayurvedic medicine called oil pulling.  This act of prolonged swishing one's mouth with oil to rid the body of toxins was intriguing to me so I purchased some sesame oil and gave it a try. Sesame oil is commonly used in the Eastern world in everything from cooking to massage and is one of the oils recommended for oil pulling. (Sunflower oil being the other.)  It is rich in the anti-oxidant vitamin E as well a list of other vitamins and minerals.  I have to say, the oil pulling was a little weird/awkward the first few times but I am going to keep it up and see if it has any results.  I purchased an organic, expeller-pressed oil which can also be used in cooking so either way it wasn't a waste of money.  I will mention here that some people may have an allergy to sesame oil.  So if you know you have a nut or seed allergy you may want to steer clear of sesame oil.  If you are able to eat hummus, which contains tahini or sesame seed paste, then you are most likely not allergic.

3.  Argan Oil- Ok people, I saved the best for last.  I am just going to say I have found this stuff to be a miracle worker and I am completely infatuated.  This Moroccan oil has been used for thousands of years for cooking and medicine in the Eastern world.  Once again I am not going to bore you with all the details of how it works or all its claimed benefits, as I would hate to take such prize winning literature off your personal reading list, but I will strongly suggest you checking it out.  So far I have only used the oil on my hair and skin but I am completely won over.  It has healed my dry and torn cuticles within days of use, softened my heels better than any goopy cream I have ever used and improved my complexion beyond any prescription medication or expensive serum ever has.  To say I am beyond impressed is an understatement.  I purchased 100% pure organic oil from Sephora in a kit by Josie Maran which contained other wonderful Argan oil products.  It was worth every penny, in my opinion, but you can also find Argan oil at some health food stores, beauty supply stores and online.  Just remember you usually get what you pay for. 

I hope to be back on track with recipes next week but just really wanted to share this information. Hope you try out some of these oils and feel free to post your thoughts, questions and comments.  Look forward to hearing from you!

* This blog contains some information sourced from Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you did this. I have heard great things about grape seed oil, and glad to know that you checked it out. What are the negatives about canola oil? I have heard there are negative things, but have had no time to do the reading.

    I have used sesame oil in cooking, but never as mentioned above. You will have to keep us posted. As for the third mentioned, never heard of it, but will put it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you found it useful. Canola oil is a pretty interesting topic. If you do ever find yourself with a little extra time just search it and you will find tons of reading material. I will sum up the problem with it in a few words...it is made from a genetically modified seed (rapeseed) that would be poisonous to our bodies if not for the modification. It is cheap and the government subsidizes it, enough said. Our bodies were never meant to consume it yet it is marketed as a healthy option. As far as the oil pulling goes, I haven't been consistant about it yet as it is supposed to be done first thing in the morning before eating and I found coffee way too appealing lately to forgo it for sesame oil. I will try to be better about it next week. I am really interested in seeing if it yields any results.

    ReplyDelete

Gluten-Free Moroccan Carrot Soup

Tex-Mex Chicken Quinoa

Baby Bok Choy And Grass-Fed Beef Stir-Fry

Gluten-Free Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie

Crustless Quiche

Hearty Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

The Best Brussels Sprouts Ever

No Cans Chicken and Rice (Gluten Free)

Last Minute Soup

Gluten-Free Cajun Quinoa

Pantry Staples

No-Bake Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies

Flourless Chocolate Cake gluten-free

Flourless Chocolate Cake Gluten-free

i heart groceries' Texas Caviar

iheartgroceries blog logo