Friday, February 10, 2012

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

I have to admit, I love a good peanut butter cookie.  And while I try to make good choices about everything I choose to eat, I am a realist.  So when the "realist" in me, "really" wants a peanut butter cookie, this is my go-to recipe.
Peanut butter cookies have a special place in my heart. They remind me of my great-grandmother and memories of her mixing up a batch in her peach colored melamine cookie dough bowl.  (How weird is it that I loved that bowl? Who loves a bowl?) Anyway, my job was to roll the dough into the exact same sized sticky spheres, place them on the cookie sheet in perfectly spaced columns and rows, then mash them with fork tines until they were all precisely criss-crossed and ready for baking. Little did my great-grandmother know, this process only fostered my OCD tendencies.  So many precise details.  And I loved every minute of making these with her.
My great-grandmother, who I wrote about in a previous blog, made her peanut butter cookies with Crisco, "the bad" peanut butter, white flour and salt.  This recipe I am sharing today is made with none of those and yet it tastes even better.  I am not going to pretend that these cookies are healthy but they are a great alternative to most standard recipes.  As with any sweet, moderation is key. This recipe is easy to double or triple for a party and they store best in an air-tight container after completely cooled.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

2 cups all natural, no sugar, no salt, chunky peanut butter (1 regular size jar)*
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar*
2 tsp baking soda- look for no sodium baking soda or it can be left out completely to lower sodium content
2 eggs*
2 tbs vanilla*

Mix all ingredients until well combined. Form into balls, press with fork and bake for 8 mins at 350*.  I use my cookie scoop for consistent amounts but a spoon will work too. Do not over bake.  I set the timer for 4mins, spin the cookie sheet a half turn, and then finish baking them for the last 4 mins to get evenly baked cookies. Let cool on sheet for 2 mins then place on paper towels until completely cooled.  The paper towels help draw out excess oil.  Also, I pour out a little of the peanut oil from the jar if it is really separated. Yields apx 24 cookies.
*Organic, all-natural and fresh ingredients make the best cookies

1 comment:

Gluten-Free Moroccan Carrot Soup

Tex-Mex Chicken Quinoa

Baby Bok Choy And Grass-Fed Beef Stir-Fry

Gluten-Free Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie

Crustless Quiche

Hearty Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

The Best Brussels Sprouts Ever

No Cans Chicken and Rice (Gluten Free)

Last Minute Soup

Gluten-Free Cajun Quinoa

Pantry Staples

No-Bake Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies

Flourless Chocolate Cake gluten-free

Flourless Chocolate Cake Gluten-free

i heart groceries' Texas Caviar

iheartgroceries blog logo